MEANING OF OBLIGATIONS
Obligations are moral considerations which compel citizens to perform duties or actions for the well being of society. Both duties and obligations have a moral and legal undertone. A good citizen has a moral duty to conduct himself well and to perform certain actions for the well-being of society. Also, he is expected by law to do certain things for the good of society. A good government is under obligation to protect the lives and property of citizens and provide social amenities to improve the standard of living of citizens.
THE OBLIGATIONS OF CITIZENS ARE;
A. ECONOMIC AND FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS
Every responsible citizen, who is age should engage in a meaningful and lawful economic activity, to make a living.
- He is expected to fend or cater for himself and his family.
- To pay tax, rates, and other levies for himself and his family.
- To contribute to community development.
- To defend the economy against forces of sabotage and corruption, graft, and other forms of abuse by those in authority.
B. SOCIAL OBLIGATION
- Every responsible citizen must care for and assist persons in trouble or the disabled people in distress, accident victims and victims of natural disaster,r, and another disadvantaged person like orphans and destitute. This includes donations to orphanages and disabled homes. It also includes granting scholarship awards to encourage education and indigent citizens.
- We should support all efforts that create social harmony and peaceful coexistence of citizens.
C. CIVIC AND POLITICAL OBLIGATIONS
- All eligible citizens should vote in elections
- They should exercise their right to seek election to public office.
- They should challenge bad leadership through constitutional means
- Citizens should perform civic duties like obedience to traffic rules and regulations, participation in environmental sanitation exercises, assist victims of natural disasters and accidents.
- Citizens should submit to constituted authority and fight against forces of disunity and economic sabotage to the nation.
- They should be patriotic to the nation and be ready to fight to defend Nigeria.
- Assist law enforcement agencies to detect and fight crime.
CONSEQUENCES OF FAILURE OF CITIZENS TO PERFORM OBLIGATIONS TO THE COMMUNITY, STATE, AND THE NATION.
- BREAKDOWN OF LAW AND ORDER; When citizens disobey constituted authority and flout the rules of behavior, there is a breakdown of law and order. Criminal activities increase while the community, state, and nation become ungovernable. This also results in the insecurity of lives and properties.
- LACK OF DEVELOPMENT; Citizens’ refusal to pay tax, rate, and community levies denies the government of needed funds for development and service to the people. Social amenities like good roads, electricity, potable water, hospitals, education, etc will be in short supply. The nation suffers underdevelopment.
- INDISCIPLINE; This Is a form of social disorder when citizens take laws into their hands. The rights of fellow citizens are trampled upon. Respect for the rights and constituted authority is abused. Students ate unruly to school authorities and do not take studies seriously. Examination malpractice, cultism, prostitution, armed robbery, and other social vices get rampant. Indiscipline in society creates a climate of social disorder and unrest.
- CORRUPTION AND ABUSE OF OFFICE; corruption and abuse of office are aspects of the discipline. They take place when those in charge of public affairs flout the rules and procedures of conducting government business. Public funds are diverted to private pockets and public officials use their positions for private gains. The community, state, and nation are robbed of funds for development.
- INJUSTICE; there can be no justice when citizens take laws into their hands and those who should ensure justice compromise their positions (act against what is right). This occurs in a society where citizens are corrupt and undisciplined.
- INSECURITY; when citizens are lawless, there is general insecurity of lives ans properties. Violence take centre stage and social vices like armed a robbery, assassinations, kidnapping become the order of life. Life in general degenerates and in this circumstance, it becomes difficult, if not impossible for peace to be found in the society.